S.S. City of Alpena Logbook

S.S. City of Alpena picture

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vessel Information

 The S.S. CITY OF ALPENA was one of several elegant paddlewheel steamboats operated by the popular Detroit & Cleveland Line out of Detroit.  The line dated to 1849 and eventually included 10 large vessels, serving ports all over Lake Erie and Lake Huron.  The D & C’s “Coast Line to Mackinac” began operations in 1881 when one of their iron steamers initiated regular service to ports along Michigan’s Lake Huron shore.  Their first ship, though popular and successful, was succeeded by the larger and faster steamers CITY OF ALPENA and CITY OF MACKINAC in 1893, designed to meet the transportation needs of Northeast Michigan’s fast-growing lumber towns. Read more...


Original Logbook

1899
Trips
1900
Trips
1901
Trips
1902
Trips
1903
Trips
13-21 1-4,7-10 1-10 1-10 1-6
21-30 11-20 11-20 11-20  
31-40 21-30 21-30 21-30  
41-42
Last of 1889
 30-40 31-40 33-40  
  41-47,
Last of 1900
41, Last
of 1901
41-49
Last of 1902
 

 

Transcriptions of Logbook


1899,1900,1901,1902,1903


Lists of Interesting Information

S.S. City of Alpena Cargo
S.S. City of Alpena Conversions
S.S. City of Alpena People
S.S. City of Alpena Selected Comments
S.S. City of Alpena Words & Phrases

Project Background

Letter from Jefferson Gray, Superintendent Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Transcribers