A CNC (Computer Numerical Control) router is a machine designed to carve out complex shapes from soft materials like wood, plastic, expanded foam, sift metals, and, in some cases steel. A CNC router is limited to relatively thin materials such as wooden boards or metal plates as the cutting tool has limited motion along its z-axis. This process is in contrast to CNC milling machines which have a larger range of motion along the z-axis.
A CNC machine makes use of a set of computer-generated instructions called G-code to automatically move a high-speed rotating cutting tool to various coordinates to carve out a design.
ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT
The CNC machine can make small signs, intricate designs, and 2d parts cut out for 3d assembly. A powerful tool for small businesses, non-profits and hobbyists. Beginners will like the free design software Easel, which is very simple and easy to use. Utilizing the CNC itself has a steeper learning curve than our other equipment, so come ready to learn!
- This 3018-SE has a transparent enclosure, which enable to watch the engraving process from every side. The spindle mount not has a 60W module.
- It’s an entry-level CNC router with enclosure for beginners and hobbyists. It is safer with a case to keep the spindle and dust inside while engraving. Limit switches and emergency stop switch are added to this machine for safety concern.
- 3018-SE is capable to carve and cut different materials such as plywood, MDF, PCB, acrylic and carve on soft metals surface like aluminum. It’s great for home DIY and small business.
- The control board is based on open-sourced grbl software. It supports Windows XP/7/8/10, Linux, Mac OS. It requires knowledge to make G-code.
- Product Size: 452*385*316mm
- Active Working Area: 278x157x 33mm / 11″x6.18″x1.3″
- Spindle: 775, 60W; 8000RPM
- Input Supply: 12V/5A
- Step Motor: 1.3 A, 12V, 0.25 Nm torque (2.2 in lb)
- Software: Compatible with all GRBL software, such as Candle, Lasergrbl, Lightburn, Easel, Inkscape, CopperCAM, Fusion360, Carbide Create, MeshCAM.
- Supported OS: Windows XP/7/8/10, MAC OS, Linux
There are several ways:
- Create the file before you arrive. If your design is simple you can use the Easel software to make a file using their simple design interface you can add text, simple shapes and clipart. Here’s a quick tutorial on Easel.
- Bring a vector design. If you already have the design, access it through the cloud or bring a USB. This article explains how to create SVGs that will work with Easel.
- Advanced users can import Gcode. Some CAD programs like Fusion360 can create toolpaths for use in Easel. Check with staff before carving.
- 6061 aluminum
- Machinable Wax
- Pink Rigid Foam Board
We recommend bringing material that is no larger than 11″x6.18″x1.3″.